Soaps have no special effects, pretty basic camera work, and lots of scenes of people sitting around talking. Still, in the end it is a visual medium, and some of the pleasure of watching a soap is for what fills the eye. So here, in no particular order, are some of the things I have been enjoying recently, in purely visual terms.
1. There’s been a lot of talk about Ed Scott’s changes in lighting and camerawork. But here’s a very good example, because during a scene between two characters I don’t care for, that infuriated me (you would never try to kill Sami, Kate? Really?) and offended my sense of professional police ethics even more than usual, I was struck by this very beautiful shot:
3. I love watching actors play off of each other, showing through their body language the relationship between the characters.
4. I’ve gone back and forth on Steve’s long hair, but must now come down in full support:
5. Chelsea’s bitchface. May she never be over-redeemed:
6. I’ll give a shout-out to the costume department for these shiny necklaces and the wonders they do for Julie Pinson’s cleavage (sorry I couldn’t find a shot of her alone):
7. Here’s my pretty, pretty Phillip, who no matter what they have him do is a pleasure to behold. Here he is looking very pleased to be gazing at another possible love interest, Chloe:
And I’ll throw out a request for some of the other visual pleasures of soaps: characters we care about in well-done love scenes (Chick, hint, hint), and the across-the-room eyesnog.
Screencaps courtesy nbc.com and steveandkayla.com